Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Election day

November 4, 2008

Dear friends,

I don't even know how to describe my feelings right now. On the one hand, I have never been happier for a president than I am today. I feel somewhat represented in him and his ideological beliefs.

I was elated when he won. It was like winning the Super Bowl. There is a sense of calm and of victory.

At that point, I should have never hopped on my computer. Proposition 8, unless there is a major miracle and only NO votes were in absentee ballots, will pass, denying me the same rights as others.

So, I sat there watching an African American man be elected president while knowing my civil rights had been taken away. It is bittersweet. It is heartbreaking.

I cried all morning and night. my wife was a trooper. She has hope. She feels that we can win this in the courts...that the fight is not over. I am encouraged by her spirit.

I cry because there should not be a fight in the first place.

When do we learn our lesson? Was it not enough that we fought a battle on American soil for civil rights for African Americans? Was it not enough when we took the ban off interracial marriage? Was it not enough that women finally achieved the vote? How many laws can be overturned and injustices be righted before you get the picture? EVERYONE DESERVES THE SAME RIGHTS UNDER THE LAW!!! Women are protected, interracial marriages are protected, African Americans are protected...we are still fighting for equality, but we are protected.

My life is not protected. How can you stand that? Where do you want me? Is your next step to take away all my rights and strip me of my property? What the hell else do you want??? We have left your churches. We have left your organizations. We have left you alone. All we want is the same thing.

What is so scary about me???? What do you fear??? I just don't get it.

I am happy that Barack Obama is the new president. I am happy that he will change some things in America. It has been terrible for the last 8 years. Let's just hope he can change his mind and pray that he tries to protect my freedom and serve as my president. Wouldn't it be nice if all of us were protected and equal?

Without words,

Stacy

No comments: